MITZVAH DAY MISSION
As a Social Action Committee, we wish to live according to Torah
by doing service and by performing acts of loving kindness.
We share a sense of collective responsibility to help others, particularly those in need.
In addition, it is our commitment to make our Temple community a better place.
The mission of TBO’s Mitzvah Day is to bring our congregation together
in performing acts of service and kindness for our temple and broader community
and provide the opportunity for members of all ages
to embody the spirit of tikkun olam, repairing the world.
In preparation for Celebrating 45 Years Together as a temple family,
please wear your “vintage” TBO & Mitzvah Day shirts to Mitzvah Day 2018.
Don’t have one … please wear a blue and/or white shirt.
- NEW AND GENTLY USED SHOES: Clean and pre-treat shoes for In Jacob’s Shoes. https://injacobsshoes.org/
- BLOOD DRIVE: One Blood will be onsite for our annual blood drive. Appointments are strongly encouraged and may be scheduled by going to: https://donor.oneblood.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/703136. ID REQUIRED!
Captain: Regina Elkin
- B’NAI MITZVAH PROJECTS: View some of the projects our 7thand 8th grade students are doing/have done. Learn about the organizations they’ve worked with/are working with.
- CAR WASH: The senior youth group will be washing cars and donating 100% of the funds to Camp Jenny, a camp for underprivileged inner-city Atlanta youth. The car wash will be done at TBO on the south side of the building. https://campjenny.nfty.org/ Captain: Noah Fineberg
- FLEECE BLANKET MAKING: Make fleece blankets using the no sew fleece blanket kits. Captain: Edith Kaplan
- HOPE TOTES: Sorting toiletries and placing them in bags to make packages for Broward Outreach Homeless Shelter (https://www.browardoutreachcenter.org/); the Jewish Family Service Domestic Abuse Program (https://www.jfsbroward.org/services/domestic-abuse/).
Captain: Meryl Schwartz
- KNITTING & CROCHETING: Knit/crochet blankets for children and adults assisted by Family Central. Please bring your own supplies, if you have them (size 8 needles and synthetic worsted weight yarn). Judie will teach you how to knit. Crocheters can put the squares together. https://www.familycentral.org/
Captain: Judie Goren
- LETTERS TO SOLDIERS: Write letters to American and Israeli soldiers.
- MEN’S CLOTHING: Sort and prepare men’s clothing for LifeNet4Families. https://www.lifenet4families.org/portal/home
Captains: Aaron Krause and Meryl Schwartz
- NETS FOR NETS: Shoot hoops and raise money to buy bed nets that will help prevent malaria in sub-Saharan African countries. Captain: Gail Steiner
- PARK SUMMIT SENIOR CENTER: Visit Park Summit and sing for the residents and complete a craft project together. https://www.fivestarseniorliving.com/communities/fl/coral-springs/park-summit Captains: Jennifer Coyne and Adrienne Steiner
- RABBI GROSS FOOD CLOSET: Collect, sort, and shelve canned goods (see list of needed items below) for the Food Closet, which helps more than 100 families in need each month. https://templebethorr.org/community-food-closet/
Captain: Renae Horowitz
- SANDWICH MAKING: Make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which will be donated to St. Laurence Chapel Homeless Day Shelter. http://www.stlaurencechapel.org/
Captain: Shelly Lehrner
- TEMPLE BEAUTIFICATION: Pressure washing and touch up painting for our “House of Light”. templebethorr.org Captain: Garry Pottruck and Marc Weinstock
- THANK YOU CARDS: Make thank you cards for Coral Springs first responders.
Captain: Fran Kraft
- TORAH/PRAYER BOOK REPAIR: Help perform minor repairs on our congregation’s Torah and Prayer books.
Captain: Irving Horowtiz
Collection bins will be in the Hall of Honor
through Mitzvah Day on Sunday, March 4th.
- New and Gently Used Shoes for In Jacob’s Shoes. https://injacobsshoes.org/
- Canned Food for the Rabbi Gross Food Closet https://templebethorr.org/community-food-closet/
- Men’s Clothing for LifeNet 4 Families https://www.lifenet4families.org/portal/home
- Toiletries (travel and full-size shampoo, conditions, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, body lotion, disposable razors, combs etc.) for Broward Outreach and JFS Domestic Abuse Program. http://www.browardoutreachcenter.com/ and https://www.jfsbroward.org/services/domestic-abuse/
- Empty Prescription Medicine Bottles
- Pennies for Camp Jenny https://campjenny.nfty.org/
- School Supplies (backpacks, crayons, #2 pencils, erasers, safety scissors, glue, colored pencils, plastic folders, construction paper etc.) for HIPPY (Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters) https://www.familycentral.org/bcsupportservices
Please consider supporting Mitzvah Day by becoming a sponsor. All sponsorships include recognition on the Mitzvah Day webpage; recognition on the Temple Beth Orr Facebook Page; recognition during Mitzvah Day; and recognition in the High Holiday Book of Thanks.
- Double Chai ($36)
- Chai ($18)
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Mitzvah Day Kick-Off 9:00 AM to 9:30 AM
Rabbi Bloch will kick off Mitzvah Day in the sanctuary. Everyone who will be participating in Mitzvah Day is encouraged to attend!
Welcome Breakfast 9:30 AM
Please join the congregation for a light breakfast of bagels, schmear, coffee/tea/juice
Scheduled Projects 9:30 AM to Noon
Participate in one or more of the many projects we have scheduled for this year’s Mitzvah Day. There is something for everyone!
Closing Program Noon to 12:30 PM
Return to the sanctuary to conclude Mitzvah Day and celebrate all we accomplished together.